Friday, October 18, 2013

Dog-Eat-Dog World



Sunday
Pre-Monday.

Monday

Monday goes as Mondays often go. She comes home, heaves her backpack on the couch and contemplates life; life in general, her future, college, the remaining school year, and the next few hours. She tells her mother she has so much homework. The response is the same, that she should get started soon. The girl digs through the disarray of textbooks and half-completed assignments in her backpack, pulls out a small notebook, places it back with a melodramatic sigh, and makes her way upstairs. I don't follow. On Mondays she prefers to be alone.

Tuesday

Second Monday.

Wednesday

Better than Monday. Her school week is half completed. Tomorrow is Thursday; the day ensuing is Friday. The atmosphere is lighter. Today, however, she grumbles about grades. She did poorly on a test. She claims it was harder than she had expected it to be. I know it was hard because I never saw her study.

Thursday
Tomorrow is Friday. Today is more pleasant than yesterday. She knows the school week is coming to a close. She doesn't open her backpack tonight. She always does Thursday's homework on Friday morning.

Friday

It is 4 am and I wonder why she is awake before I recall what day it is. Even I am weary. I wonder why she doesn't just do her homework on Thursday. She could still be sleeping if she wanted to.

Friday (evening)

She gets home. She lobs her backpack on the couch, flings her shoes in the closet, and goes to her room. She reads as she always does. Her mother asks for her assistance with laundry. The girl tells her mother that she is exhausted and asks if she can help after she has rested. I wonder why she didn't just do her homework earlier. She could have gotten a few more hours of sleep last night.

Friday (late evening)

She is doing the laundry. She tells her mother about her week and how she has no friends. She’s exaggerating; I’ve met her friends before. She can't wait to leave her school. She's always talking about how she can name the people she genuinely likes on one hand.

Saturday
She leaves early; goes out to be with friends. I sleep curled up at the end of her bed until she is home again.

4 comments:

  1. I don't even have to comment on this because I have already met and exceeded my comment quota for this weekend. Yet, I'm doing it anyways, so that's how awesome I thought your post was. I just couldn't say nothing. Amy, that was incredible. The organization was unique and ingenious. And the revelation about who the narrator was at the end? Priceless. Excellent job on this assignment. Also, because of you, I almost always say "bloge" instead of "blog", because now blog just sounds boring and mundane. So thanks for that! Haha, good stuff ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. This represented you, Amy! I agree with Madison, it is an awesome example of complex characterization. I like the way you organized your way of writing it. Its creative and smart. I also like how you used the view point of your dog to display your week, especially since he watches everything from a side point of view. Good job explaining each side of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man-- this is clever and funny. Love that we didn't meet the narrator until, "I don't follow." Great indirect characterization and again, really clever narrative style.
    15/15

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhh Amy this made me want to give you a big hug. I've noticed that you've seemed down lately, and that hurts my heart. If there's anything I can ever do for you, just let me know. Even if it's that you need to pour your heart out at 4AM, my phone is always right by my bed. Seriously. The 100% Introvert club is always here for you :)

    ReplyDelete