Friday, October 4, 2013

Woof Draft



 Woof Draft
For my entire life, I have been prone to indecision; irresolute in most situations. However, in Guatemala, I came to a realization; a decision I had never been so sure of in my entire life: I had come to the conclusion that I wanted to help people. Whatever career I chose, I just wanted to be able to walk away with the satisfaction that I had affected someone’s life in a positive way; even better, I loved being able to witness the direct effect.
I was in Guatemala on a school service trip. I came to this conclusion very early within my nine days of being there. It was the second day of actually meeting with our set groups; I had been placed in the agriculture group. After a long day of vaccinating uncooperative animals, we began to head back to the local church. However, along the way, we passed a house where an older lady was lifting cinder-blocks by herself; not only that, but it also appeared that she was not anywhere close to being finished. So, we stopped and helped her. I had spilled my water bottle earlier in the day, but after we had finished helping, a girl who I assumed to be her daughter came out with 7UP. I could see the condensation on the outside of the bottle and subconsciously deemed this girl my savior.
The 7UP, seemingly significant to most people, contributed to this being one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. The experience in its entirety, placed with the other events I witnessed and was involved with in Guatemala, led me to the understanding that I really love helping people and not just in the typical “yeah, it sure is nice to put a smile on someone’s face” way. This is totally different; seeing that I have in fact made a difference in someone’s life or even just their day literally gives me this satisfaction that I cannot get from anything else. Even if it is something that seems rather inconsequential, knowing how much of a difference just a small act of kindness can make for someone just makes me so stinking giddy in the best way possible. Since that day and just that week in general, I always make a greater effort to help out with not only the big things, but the little things too.
Being so sure of something for once in my indecisive life has really changed something inside of me. Even on the bad days, I am looking for ways that I can improve myself, and that usually involves helping others. I enjoy making others happy because it brings me great happiness as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment